Friday, October 8, 2010

Days 66-79

Wow! It’s been a while since I blogged!! I have been uber busy! However, I have finally reached the point where I feel like I have it! I think the transition is over and we are on a roll now. Tomorrow is Gwynn’s last soccer game. I am excited to maybe have my Saturday’s back! Gwynn is doing better. She is at least staying on the field for the whole game now :0) We are really enjoying bell choir! The kid’s choir is playing this Sunday for the service. I am going to hide behind Gwynn because sometimes she needs a little nudge…literally :0) Connor is having fun at school. He had silly sock/cowboy day and today he got to wear his jammies to school and they get pancakes! Trying to find him season appropriate jamimes that still fit was a challenge though!

We have a few celebrations in October. Of course, Halloween is one of them. The kiddos go their costumes and they are pretty darn excited about them! Gwynn is going to be Sleeping Beauty and Connor is going to be Ironman. The other big one…Connor will be 6 this month! Where does the time go?!? We are doing a Super Why birthday and he told me that he wants a fish, a turtle and plastic drums for his birthday.

I had the opportunity this month to learn about a new bug…the ant lion! I was out mowing the lawn when I realized I had pits in the sand box. I smoothed them over and an hour later they were back! Once again I smoothed them over and then kept an eye on it while the kiddos played in the sprinkler…(with the neighbor kids yelling rude comments to Gwynn about being a naked girl…for a while ago…) As I watched, I saw these little figure 8s appear in the sand and so I watched closely and saw the sand being kicked up. I came in and went to my favorite place for general knowledge…Google! I discovered that I had an ant lion infestation! They are the craziest bugs…they dig these pits, ants fall in and they grab them from underneath while the ant is trying to escape. Anyway, Raid does not kill them. I had to dig them out, smooth my sand box, wait for pits, dig more out…and then the cold finally got the rest of them! I also killed a few wasps in my house. Never a dull moment with other living creatures at my house!

We had a great week where Dustin was back at the place he has internet! The kiddos and I got to talk to him frequently and it was so nice. It is amazing how you can grow closer together when you are so far apart. I love how protective he is. My neighbor and I were talking about preparing the kiddos to walk to and home from the bus by themselves. We have a plan. We stand back and watch them walk home from the bus to make sure they know the way and how to do it safely. Then we let them walk home by themselves…then we let them walk to the bus themselves. It’s cute though because Dustin was a little nervous to let him do that. Then one day Connor was “busy” when I had to take Elizabeth home…so I allowed him to stay home by himself. It’s a 10 minute roudtrip. I gave him strict instructions on what he could and could not do. I came home and he had answered the phone (which was a do not do) but it was Dustin, and he knew that it was. Dustin “watched” Connor for me while I was gone. He is so sweet and I love how he takes care of us even from that far away!

We all got sick! Connor got a fever and was throwing up. He missed his first day of school. I was next! Thankfully it hit on a weekend where I could just lay in bed and sleep all day. My neighbor, Cindy took the kiddos for a few hours so I could rest…so sweet! Then it was Gwynn. We’re all over that and on the mend now. Connor however has a really red chapped nose…poor guy!

I remember back to the beginning of the deployment…all 79 days ago :0) where I was excited to have a year to work on myself and grow in my faith. Well, that hasn’t really been happening as I thought it would! Last time it really was pretty easy. It came fast and hard. This time it’s been work! I am constantly finding myself in situations where I just don’t know what to do or how to respond. I am finding however, that it is making me a better person as I lean on God to find my way.
I had also said that this year I was going to read the Bible through. Well, I have changed my mind. Anyone can read the Bible in a year. My new approach is to really STUDY the Bible. So, while I am doing my readings, I learn as much about the Book as I can. When it was written, by whom, for whom…that kind of stuff so I have a better understanding of what I am reading and what it means. Additionally, I am reading passages in context. I have found that you can spout off a passage, but it can mean something totally different if you know the history of the passage and read what is said around it. Reading does not equal Knowledge! Studying equals Knowledge!

One thing that keeps coming up again and again is what is to come out of your mouth! I am so quick to be harsh with my kids or complain to someone instead of taking my thoughts and actions captive. This is definitely something I will be working on! I have also been convicted of how my actions can affect other believers and new believers. I am constantly reminded that my life needs to be a reflection of Christ not my flesh. It has been a struggle a few times. Several things have come up where I just want to spout off my mouth and say what I really think/feel, but I am learning to bite my tongue and just pray about it. Prayerfully, by the time Dustin comes home, he’ll come home to a changed wife!

Verse of the Day: Colossians 3:15
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

Silver Linings
♥the smile my kiddos constantly put on my face
♥the blessings God has given me
♥challenging situations because they bring about growth!
♥a desire to know Christ more

No comments:

Post a Comment