Today, my grandpa passed away. He was an amazing man. He had 5 children (2 of whom already passed), 16 grandchildren (2 of whom tragically passed), and 15 great-grands. He was such a sweet, gentle, loving man. He loved Jesus. When I couldn’t look to my parents’ marriage as an example of true love, his and grandma’s was a shining example. I longed to marry a man like him and have my fairy tale marriage like they did. (I think I’ve been quite successful too!) I am so happy that he and grandma (who passed away 10 years ago) are together again.
I had written my grandpa a note, telling him how much I loved him and how much I was thankful that he was my grandpa. I put it in the mail Monday morning. Something kept telling me I needed to call him. I didn’t want to. I didn’t know what to say. However, Tuesday morning, I did pick up the phone and call him. It was so hard. Hearing him struggle to breathe as he told me he loved me and was glad to hear my voice literally broke my heart.
Through tears last night, I asked God to be merciful and bring him home quickly. God answered my prayer and tonight, that’s where he is and this hopeless romantic is smiling through the tears.
With the passing of my grandmother last Tuesday and the passing of my grandpa today, that generation in my family has come to an end. They all left a legacy of love and Christ to be deeply treasured.
No comments:
Post a Comment