Well, we only had to go 279 days without each other and R&R is FINALLY here!! The days since my last blog have been long and filled with utter eagerness. When waiting to see my soldier again, the challenge is to not get too excited too soon. Once you blow the top, there’s no holding it back! The excitement just bubbles out and oozes into every part of your day. As you can imagine, this makes the days last F-O-R-E-V-E-R---
Thankfully, my mom and dad decided to come visit during her Spring Break and Easter! I can remember when I was in college, I would always come home during Christmas and Summer break and get really sick…well my mom coming must have triggered that in my body! It knew mommy was there..and I got sick! I got the sickest I’ve been in years…but my mommy was there and ironically enough, all I wanted was my hubby :0) It’s so nice to be taken care of. They took care of everything. They shopped, cooked, cleaned, got up with the kids and my mom even helped me make a skirt to welcome Dustin home in :0)
In the midst of my fever, chills and exhaustion, Dustin told me he thought he was going to be home in days, instead of a week!! As much as I wanted him to be home, I wasn’t ready!! I wanted to be healthy and feeling well again before he got here. As it always goes, I kept missing Dustin when he got on to talk. I had no clue where he was or when he was coming home. I was starting to feel better, but was still feeling crappy and as one can imagine, it was hard to hold back the tears. Where Dustin was, he had to make several small hops
We had snow Easter morning, which was some how fitting…all white and clean in celebration of the purity of our Risen Savior and the clean slate he gave us! My parents left and I went to bed not feeling 100% or knowing when Dustin was going to be here. I’ll admit, I cried myself to sleep after having looked up incoming flights to Colorado Springs and knowing he wasn’t coming that night. Where Dustin was, he had to make several small hops and a few big ones. The hard thing is, those moves can be dangerous. Convoys, flights…it’s not like traveling in the states. So, when I didn’t hear anything, although I wasn’t fearful, it still sits in the back of your mind. They aren’t home until they are home.
I woke to find out that he was coming home Tuesday and his flight was getting in at 6:10pm!! I was elated! Simply knowing there was an end in sight. Knowing that in about 60 hours I would be in my husband’s arms. Bliss. I still wasn’t feeling well. My house was far from clean. I didn’t care! I was ready!!
If I had been well, I wouldn’t have slept at all Monday night. I passed out!! However, my alarm clock (Gwynn) came in at 5:45 and I was wide awake and ready to go!! All morning I sang to my kiddos, “It’s going to be a good day!” They sang along, not knowing the reason! I got ready for the day, sent Connor out the door to school and went to my Bible Study…what a great distraction!!!! I could hardly contain myself as I picked up Gwynn from childcare and drove home. I flew home (while driving the speed limit of course!) and raced to my computer. Sadly, nothing from Dustin. Moments later, he got on (thanks to a very generous man in the Dallas airport ) to tell me he was on an earlier flight!!
My heart skipped a beat! I ran to the bathroom, re-shaved my legs :0) freshened up my makeup, fixed my hair, painted my toenails, my fingernails, got dressed and watched agonizingly as each minute passed!! I was so excited, I was sick to my stomach. I felt like I was going to throw up. The anticipation…you can’t even imagine!! Finally came the time to drop Gwynn off and Aunt Elizabeth’s and head to the air port. I don’t really remember getting there or parking…but I do remember standing there waiting for him to walk down the hallway to me.
They announced the arrival of his flight and I jumped out of the chair I was sitting in and went to greet him. I watched as people filed closer to me, then came the flight crew and I had to choke back tears. Slowly another stream of people began to trickle in. I was literally shaking as I stood there. I saw a soldier coming and my heart began to race, not mine…but then…there he was. Walking down that hallway with an all too familiar smile on his face. I walked toward him, hugged him and couldn’t hold back the tears any more as we shared our first kiss in 9 months and 4 days.
I dropped him off at home and ran to get my kiddos from Elizabeth’s. On the way home, I told them that daddy was really bored at all the airports waiting for flights. I suggested we record our favorite Knock Knock jokes for him to watch while he waited. I sat them down at the table, they told their jokes and then I told mine...please ignore the mess :0)
I am so happy and full of joy to be a whole family again…even if it’s only for 2 weeks. God really blessed me with an amazing husband. Dustin has been getting up with the kids, making breakfast, walking Connor to the bus and just really enjoying time with the kids, cooking and cleaning too! We are of course enjoying time with each other too ;0) It’s amazing the simple things that make me happy. Gwynn’s giggles, Connor’s smiles, playing cards, cooking dinner together, snuggling, watching tv together, having a face to face discussion, two toothbrushes and towels in my bathroom, whiskers in the sink…I’m really cherishing it all.
While my soldier is home, many are not. Today marks the 3rd year anniversary of my cousin, Chad’s ultimate sacrifice. Many also gave. Many won’t come home. Many will come home wounded; mentally, physically, emotionally…we must keep constantly vigil in prayer for all of our troops and their families. I feel so blessed to have my whole soldier in my arms tonight and will relish every moment we have together.
No comments:
Post a Comment